[Barrelfish-users] Booting Barrelfish on Lenovo X200 Laptop

Raphael Fuchs raphaelfuchs at student.ethz.ch
Thu Aug 4 23:12:16 CEST 2011

Hi,

The README file in the source directory indicates that Barrelfish should
run on a Lenovo X200 Laptop.
During the boot process I get the usual kernel messages, the following
are the last six lines.

--
startd.0: starting app /x86_64/sbin/serial on core 0
spawnd.0: spawning /x86_64/sbin/serial on core 0

So far so good, but I don't get the fish prompt nor can I type in
something. The cursor (blinking) is sitting somewhere in the middle of
the screen. My menu.lst looks as following.

--
title   Barrelfish
root    (hd0,3)

# Domains spawned by init
module  /x86_64/sbin/mem_serv
module  /x86_64/sbin/monitor

# Special boot time domains spawned by monitor
module  /x86_64/sbin/chips boot
module  /x86_64/sbin/ramfsd boot
module  /x86_64/sbin/skb boot
modulenounzip /skb_ramfs.cpio.gz nospawn
#module  /x86_64/sbin/pci boot
module  /x86_64/sbin/spawnd boot
#bootapic-x86_64=1-15
module  /x86_64/sbin/startd boot

# General user domains
module /x86_64/sbin/serial
module  /x86_64/sbin/fish
module /x86_64/sbin/myapp
--

The only thing that still "works" is if I press the power button, in
which case I get:

--
ACPI: Interrupt!
Power button pressed, switching off..

however, the machine isn't switching off.

Does someone know what might caused the problem?
Do I need to to load additional modules?

Thanks in advance
Raphael

--
Raphael Fuchs