[Barrelfish-users] Need help in running barrelfish on SCC

Vaibhav Jain vjoss197 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 03:58:46 CET 2011

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 3:51 AM, Simon Peter <speter at inf.ethz.ch> wrote:

>        http://www.barrelfish.org/TN-_**_005-SCC.pdf<http://www.barrelfish.org/TN-__005-SCC.pdf>
>>
>> Thanks for ther reply! I am still not clear about booting barrelfish on
>> more than one core. The document
>> mentioned above only talks about reseting core 0 to boot barrelfish but
>> doesn't mention anything about
>> bootscc.sh. The section for booting on subsequent cores (section 2.5)
>> only talks about telling the CPU driver
>> to boot other cores but doesn't say how to do that.
>>

> The document above is correct, but a little bit too low level. The
> bootscc.sh script, which is in the tools/scc directory will do all the
> required booting steps for you (exactly those listed in the tech note).
>
> Telling the CPU driver to boot other cores works through a commandline
> argument to spawnd, as explained in my last email. It's the standard
> process in Barrelfish to boot other cores.
>
> Simon

Thanks Simon!
I could find the scripts bootscc.sh and menu.lst.scc and made changes for
booting core 1-5 but there is another
problem I am facing. The bootscc.sh calls another script watchall.sh which
is being blocked due to access permissions.
Could you please let me know if watchall.sh is necessary for the
installation ? Also I could see the first command in watchall.sh as
"trap "pkill -P $$" SIGINT" whcih mught be getting blocked. Could you
please tell what is it supposed to do ?
I am just wondering if it can be made to execute without requiring root
privileges.
Thanks
Vaibhav Jain