[Barrelfish-users] i825xx, a new e1000 driver.

Mateusz Olczak mateusz at olczak.se
Mon Feb 25 19:25:09 CET 2013

Hello every body,

After much issues with the existing e1000 network card driver I began work on updating it.
As the changes became big I decided to fork the source code and for development purposes call the driver i825xx after the chipset family name of the e1000/Intel Pro/1000 family cards.

The i825xx driver is freely based on the existing e1000 driver net_queue_manager code, however I took liberties in renaming stuff,
removing uncommented code and did other minor changes. However, the hardware initialization code is pretty much new.
If this new codes gets accepted I suppose the driver should be renamed back to e1000 and replace the current one.

I've tested the driver to work under Simics and Qemu, but mostly worked with it under Simics using a Simics to LAN bridge.
If you wish to know how to set up a Barrelfish to LAN or localhost bridge under Simics please do drop me a mail and I will send you the relevant script and instructions.

There are still some minor changes to be made, such as providing in driver help, adding helpful messages with out debugging mode and figuring out how to improve the NIC detection.
As the driver is based much on tested code I believe this driver to be stable enough for public testing. Feedback would also be appreciated.

I've attached the driver as a diff that may be applied as a patch against the current mercurial source tree.
The diff also contains a small program called lshw to list detected PCI/PCIe hardware by kaluga, fix for a minor bug in net_queue_manager/frag.c and an old regression that made
the existing tulip driver not compilable.

So, please feel free to read the driver README.txt, test driver out and provide feedback.

Cheers!
// Mateusz