[Barrelfish-users] Booting Barrelfish via pxe

Kornilios Kourtis kornilios.kourtis at inf.ethz.ch
Wed May 29 16:37:00 CEST 2013

Hi,

On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 06:18:47PM -0400, Priyaa Varshinee Srinivasan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been trying to boot barrelfish via pxe using syslinux and grub legacy
> unsuccessfully for a week. I am a newbie to grub as well as barrelfish.  Can
> someone please list the steps to load barrelfish via pxe server. I would be
> very thankful.

Can you provide some information on what your specific problem is?

The typical process is:
 - pxe loads the grub image over tftp
   (the image is typically specified in the dhcpd configuration file)
 - grub fetches proper menu.lst (usually it's menu.lst.$IP)
 - grub reads menu.lst  (see README on Barrelfish source tree for an
   example) and fetches the necessary files from tftp
 - grub starts elver that loads barrelfish kernel

Looking at the tftp logs might be a good starting point to figure out
what's wrong.

cheers,
Kornilios.

--