[Barrelfish-users] Barrelfish release

Kornilios Kourtis kornilios.kourtis at inf.ethz.ch
Wed Nov 27 12:44:29 CET 2013

Hi all,

We are pleased to announce that a new release of Barrelfish is
available.  As usual, Barrelfish code is available from
http://hg.barrelfish.org/barrelfish either as a tarball or as a
mercurial repository.

The major changed to the previous release done a few days ago is the
inclusion of a terminal subsystem for Barrelfish. This was done by
Raphael Fuchs for his BSc thesis, which you can find in our web site:
http://www.barrelfish.org/fuchsr-bachelor-sessioncontrol.pdf

I believe Raphael's thesis abstract nicely summarises the changes in our
tree:

| This thesis introduces a terminal subsystem for the Barrelfish
| multikernel. We demonstrate how character-based input-output streams
| can be implemented in a message-passing system.
|
| Additionally, we introduce the notion of a session, show how sessions
| can be protected from each other by using capabilities and describe
| how they interact with the terminal subsystem. On top of that, we
| present mechanisms to start applications as part of a session,
| detaching them from a session or aborting an application.
|
| In a case study, we port OpenSSH to Barrelfish demonstrating
| command-line interaction with the OS over a network connection.

cheers,
Kornilios.

--
Kornilios Kourtis