[Barrelfish-users] Need Help configuring PXE/TFTP boot

Kornilios Kourtis kornilios.kourtis at inf.ethz.ch
Thu Sep 5 16:17:47 CEST 2013

Hi Jiban,

On Thu, Sep 05, 2013 at 03:57:41AM -0700, jiban sarma wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Today I have got a set up to install barrelfish on real hardware. I want to
> boot the OS via PXE/TFTP. I have configured the DHCP server and TFTP/PXE
> configuration as well. After that I have copied all the binary files of
> barrelfish using
> make install INSTALL_PREFIX=/var/lib/tftpboot/barrelfish .
>
> Now i have the following directory structure within /var/lib/tftpboot
>
> drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Sep  5 02:08 barrelfish
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  353 Sep  5 02:15 mybootmenu.cfg
> drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Sep  5 03:25 pxelinux.cfg
>
> Now when i start my Pxe boot client its stuck in PXE-32 TFTP open timeout.
> Is there any additional file required to boot barrelfish?
>
> Please can someone help me how to resolve the issue.

In what file transfer is PXE stuck?
Are you using grub?

I'm not sure how well your setup matches ours, but (unless I'm mistaken) our
booting process is:
 - pxe loads the grub image over tftp
   (the image is typically specified in the dhcpd configuration file)
 - grub fetches proper menu.lst (usually it's menu.lst.$IP) using tftp
 - grub reads menu.lst  (see README on Barrelfish source tree for an
   example) and fetches the necessary files from tftp
 - grub starts elver that loads Barrelfish kernel

A good starting point would be to look at the tftp logs and see what files are
requested and what files are actually transfered.

cheers,
Kornilios.

--
Kornilios Kourtis