[Barrelfish-users] How to run Linux applications over barrelfish using VMM

Kosyrev Serge skosyrev at ptsecurity.com
Tue Oct 25 17:29:36 CEST 2016

Lukas Humbel writes:
> Hi!

> There are currently no plans to merge the changes from my master's
> thesis. It is only needed if you want to provide multiple CPUs to the
> guest operating system.

Indeed, multicore guests is /the/ thing that I'm trying to get a stab at
-- see below..

> If you need that, I'm happy to provide the source code,

Indeed, I would be happy to see it -- is there a public repository?

> if not, I suggest using vmkit as it is in the current tree.  It does
> not need these invocations because we set up the virtual machine as a
> special type of domain (which is "the closest thing to a process in
> Barrelfish"), and the VMENTER happens implicitly on the scheduling of
> such a domain.
>
> Out of curiosity, may I ask you what applications you plan to run in the
> VM? You must be aware that vmkit is rather basic, and there are almost
> no emulated devices.

I would like to attempt making Barrelfish run unmodified Linux (and,
ideally Windows) with minimum intercession -- so as to minimise
disruption of functionality..

Do you have ideas about the most plausible approach to do that?

--
с уважениeм / respectfully,
Косырев Сергей