[Barrelfish-users] How to port current Barrelfish OS on the x86_64 Gem5 simulator

Timothy Roscoe troscoe at inf.ethz.ch
Tue Jan 10 10:41:38 CET 2017

Hopefully somoene else on the list can answer in more detail, but some
of us have quite successfully booted Barrelfish on x86_64 GEM5 in the
past (I know Tim Harris did this)...

There's nothing terribly unusual about the multiboot image that is
generated for regular x86_64 systems, and so you should be able to
boot it the same way you would boot a regular Linux image.  Note that
you don't need a RAM disk; we currently put all the initial modules
into the multiboot image.

You can take a look at the current ARM GEM5 targets in
platforms/Hakefile for hints as to how to do this.

If you get it working, let us know (or send us a patch or pull
request) and we'll add it to the platforms Hakefile as a new target.

 -- Mothy