Re. [Oberon] http://www.oberon.ethz.ch/display.html

cglur at onwe.co.za cglur at onwe.co.za
Sun Jul 14 20:03:25 CEST 2002

peter_easthope at gulfnet.sd64.bc.ca wrote:

> > What exactly is the purpose of this procedure?
> > What is accomplished in each of the three
> > statements?
> >    curBank := bank;
> >    SYSTEM.PORTOUT(3D8H, CHR(bank));
> >    SYSTEM.PORTOUT(3D9H, CHR(bank))

Lisias Toledo wrote
> To understand what this do one must understand the way VGA Cards
> works and the IBM-PC RealMode addressing.

Yes, that's what I mean by top-down analysis/design.

But there's an even higher question to ask first:
  do you want to invest the effort to aquire the background knowledge ?

Those coming to n-o computing via, accounting, medicine, psychology,
photography have a very different skills set to those who come from
electrical engineering & hardware.

Do I want to learn japanese to better tune by Katawami product ?

The closest to "Hello world" (the minimum observable) for hardware
driver exercise, is perhaps exercising the par. port.  But to observe/confirm
the results you still need a 'voltmeter' and info about the DB25 pin out,
or much patience.

-- Chris Glur.