[Oberon] User friendly

Douglas G. Danforth danforth at greenwoodfarm.com
Sun Jul 14 21:49:06 CEST 2002

Folks,
cglur at onwe.co.za wrote:
> Those coming to n-o computing via, accounting, medicine, psychology,
> photography have a very different skills set to those who come from
> electrical engineering & hardware.
>
> Do I want to learn japanese to better tune by Katawami product ?
>
> The closest to "Hello world" (the minimum observable) for hardware
> driver exercise, is perhaps exercising the par. port.  But to observe/confirm
> the results you still need a 'voltmeter' and info about the DB25 pin out,
> or much patience.
>
> -- Chris Glur.

I have a goal and that is to take a form of Oberon (currently Native)
and strip it to a "bullet proofed" form that runs on a subset
of PCs so that those who want a reliable small system that gives them
the basic functionality can have one and not worry about the details.

A subset of PC configurations is necessary since servicing
all possbile combinations of hardware is not possible (at least not by
me or a small group of people).  A basic set of: document editor,
email, and web access is all one really needs.  The rest of the machine
should be available for your specific applications over which you have
control.

I would be interesting in hearing from anyone willing to contribute to
discuss the needed support and documentation.  I would assume that
BlueBottle (which I have not yet seen) would be the basic system.

More later.

Doug Danforth
Greenwood Farm Technologies, LLC