[Oberon] Commercializing Oberon: Goals

Douglas G. Danforth danforth at greenwoodfarm.com
Tue Jul 16 16:30:47 CEST 2002

Aubrey,

mcintosh at vima.austin.tx.us wrote:
> Can I ask you to re-articulate your goal?
>
> For example,
>
> 1.  I want to make money and Oberon has a mix of novelty and  completeness that may work.
> 3.  I like Oberon and want to grow the user base to make its existance more assured.
> 5.  I think society would be safer if software were based on well engineered open sourced systems.

The above 3 selections from your list capture the essence.
An open source, high quality, reliable operating system based
on modules that is supported "commercially" is another way to
say this.  There is also the "education" side of the coin where
the young become exposed to strong information hiding which is
not provided by C/C++.

It is necessary to have a focal point within the commercial
world.  Otherwise it is only students and a few daring individuals
who venture into the Oberon domain.

I believe a gentle and firm coordination of what already exists
can lead to a low overhead, low maintanence system that is useful
to a large number of individuals.  I wish to avoid the opacity of
Microsofts Window's and its bloat. Openness is key. A small organization
lowers its operating expenses and keeps the cost to the consumer down.

-Doug