Re (2): [Oberon] 3 Buttons to 2

muller at inf.ethz.ch muller at inf.ethz.ch
Sat Jul 20 11:22:38 CEST 2002

Felix Friedrich <friedrich at gsf.de> wrote:
> Actually it was not really me, who changed the response of the mouse
> buttons but it is contained in ETH native Oberon for Windows. As far as I
> understood, Emil Zeller has done - at least part of - the job.

The history of this from my viewpoint:

Windows Oberon was the first to address the 3-button mouse issue.
Emil (or maybe already Hannes?) changed the Windows Input module
(or a lower-level Windows-specific module?) that basically checked
the gadget under the cursor and acted differently depending on that.

When Bernhard Egger was making the "Programming for Dummies" book
distribution (see http://www.oberon.ethz.ch/dummies/) we looked for
a better solution and saw that changing all the basic user-interface
objects for the two-button case was not that much trouble.

http://www.oberon.ethz.ch/native/WebBeta.html shows this change was
done on 24.11.00.  (BTW If a change in this page or WebAlpha.html does
not have a name tag (prk, ejz, be, etc.) on it, it was made by me).
Emil and Günter then ported this to the Windows and Unix versions.

http://www.oberon.ethz.ch/mouse.html documents that F8 can be used to
toggle the new behaviour on and off.  Peter Easthope mentions this is
also documented in Oberon-0.

peter_easthope at gulfnet.sd64.bc.ca wrote:
> I wonder whether the command
> functionality of ML,ML can be turned
> off permanently.  The mouse configur
> -ation viewer in Oberon0 mentions
> that F8 toggles this capability but
> it appears not to remain off in the
> fully installed alpha 23.06.2002.
> I don't see the question mentioned
> in configuration strings.

What is apparently not documented anywhere is that in Native Oberon
you can turn it off permanently and revert to the old operation
by setting config string "MB=3" (mouse buttons = 3).  André, could
you please document this?

-- Pieter

--
Pieter Muller, Computer Systems Institute, ETH Zurich / MCT Lab, Zurich
Native Oberon OS: http://www.oberon.ethz.ch/native/