[Oberon] Re: ETH Oberon website

peter_easthope at gulfnet.sd64.bc.ca peter_easthope at gulfnet.sd64.bc.ca
Sat Jul 27 21:54:07 CEST 2002

Charles Angelich & others,

ca> It seems there was no desire to write separate
up-to-date documentation for each version
so that all versions are crammed together into
a confusion of exceptions.

Version  specific documentation
seems desirable but there is another
factor involved---human time.
I believe the Web documentation is
mostly written and edited by one
volunteer: Andre Fischer.  He has a
sizable list of undocumented topics
pending.  Any coverage of a topic seems
preferable to ignoring it in favour
of version specific coverage of another
topic.

Writing or editing a document would
help.

ca> I could critique these pages line by line but I
think anyone who looks at what is there objectively
as a new user they would see what I see?

Often we can find improvements
in style and organization which the
orginal author might overlook, even after
reviewing his/her work many times.
If you find something particularly
dissatisfying and are inspired, perhaps
you can send Andre a revision.

Superficially the ETH might appear to be
an "ivory tower" but with experience you
will find it is populated with people
who are really very perceptive, dedicated
and generous.  At times they might seem
oblivious to a concern of a mortal but
later we usually discover that the problem
is addressed through vision and a non-obvious
plan on a bigger scale.

Regards,      Peter E.

Peter Easthope
http://carnot.pathology.ubc.ca/