[Oberon] Ghostly problems with Oberon PPP.

Edgar Schwarz edgar at edgarschwarz.de
Sun Aug 4 22:51:18 CEST 2002

"Ghost in the Machine" <cangelich at famvid.com> wrote:
  > Subject:	[Oberon] Oberon on COM4  now
  > Date:	(No, or invalid, date.)
NO Mail didn't see a date with your mails so I overlooked you mails
for a while because they were sorted in out of sight at the bottom
of my inbox.

  > I'm not able to get connected to my ISP just yet.
Then let's work on that.

  > I open Oberon.Text and fill in all the information
  > along with username, password, and host then
  > I find a `note' telling me that to use PAP login
  > I must use add "Call PPPMain.Startinst <provider> <user>"
  > as the last command in the login script.
I admit that provider is redundant because at this moment you are
already in the dial script. Just a leftover from former times.

  > THEN it tells me to  to use
  > NetSystem.SetUser pap:<user><:password>@<provider>
  > to set the password before dialing?
That's the correct way.

  > Why did I put the password into the "NetSystem"
  > routine if I was going to have to do it using
  > NetSystem.SetUser?
Sorry. PPP and Oberon.Text are out of sync here. No more
PAPName in Oberon.Text.

  > I don't like having my username
  > and password hard-coded into Oberon in the
  > first place
Therefore this was changed many months ago.

  > but 3 times each?  Is someone
  > playing a joke here or what?
Just things being out of sync.

  > The upshot of all this is Oberon will now dialout
  > but the script is not making a connection with
  > my ISP (as though it's looking for a fourth version
  > of my username/password?   LOL
This really would be too much. LOLROTF.

  > Does this mean
  > I must enter the fully qualified URL (numbers)
  > when it asks for my "provider'?
Did you read PPP.Text and PPP.Tool ?

  > I really wish PPP logins would display some
  > status information as they go along rather
  > than just sitting and not knowing if it's
  > working or not I might have a CLUE as
  > to why it is taking so long or why it
  > fails entirely.
Use PPP logging even if that's probebly more than you want.

  > I really must ask, does Native/Oberon 08.12.02
  > connect to any ISP via dialup for anyone so far?
I can't speak of 08.12.02 because I don't have that installed at
the moment. But yes, PPP connects at least with a couple of ISPs
for several years now. And with Aos it at least connects to mine already.

  > Before you tell me to RTFM read the next message.
Nevertheless I couldn't resist the RTFM :-)

If by next message you meant the one where you acknowledged the
miserable life of a PPP client I read it.
If you RTFMed and have some comments to improve the stuff just
go to http://www.edgar-schwarz.de/cgi-bin/wwwboard.pl and add
it there. Perhaps this could became a users contribution to
Oberon PPP problems.
So it would be accessible to anybody (As soon as I add this link
to the docs) even before it's edited and really added to the docs.
Then drop a note to me that you added something. At least as long
as I don't receive a note when somebody added an article to the board.

Edgar Schwarz, edgar at edgarschwarz.de, http://www.edgarschwarz/oberon