Re.[Oberon] Narrow displays

cglur at onwe.co.za cglur at onwe.co.za
Tue Aug 6 14:30:07 CEST 2002

Pieter Muller wrote:
> Philipp Kramer suggested another idea to improve the usability
> of TextFrames on narrow displays.  Since a TextFrame menu is a
> normal text, you could set the cursor in the menu and type a
> CR to move the non-visible part of the menu to the next line.
> With some fancy mousework you can scroll the menu text.

I'd be interested to read the required mouse sequence to achieve this.
I've often lost some of the commands in the MenuFrame (when I was
forced to use MS-ape mode, due to ignorance of F8 toggle).
Beginners could be frustrated (loose work) by not knowing that
System.Close , System.Grow  work from inside the marked
 MainTextFrame.  Is the MenuFrame a child of the MainTextFrame,
that it acts on itself and it's parent  ?

> Expanding on this idea, you could edit the initialization of
> the menuH variable in the body of TextFrames.Mod and make it
> double the size of Fonts.Default.height.  This will give you
> a two-line menu.

OK; provided this mode is toggle-able (like F8=ape-MS).
We don't want to mess good stuff evolved over years.
The removal of the redundant "System" in the MenuFrame is a
good tweek since V2.3.6. As is the forward & back key in Edit.Open;
the next one(s) could be <Home> & <End> keys ?

What about the existing (alpha 2001) Desktops.OpenDoc [button]s
collapse into a single pop-up facility ?   I guess this is not available for
the basic (non gadget) configuration.

The first time I saw it, I was starting a morning session, and I though
the machine had crashed over night !   Is it documented somewhere ?

-- Chris Glur.