[Oberon] Re. ZipTool1.Arc (Aug 5) can't handle DOS file-names

cglur at onwe.co.za cglur at onwe.co.za
Fri Aug 9 17:41:39 CEST 2002

  Peter E.  wrote:
> pjm> Homework ...: execute Watson.ShowDef ZipTool and
> document the missing options and commands in Zip.Tool.
>
> Does Zip have deficiencies not
> related to non-Oberon file names?
> I don't recall any.

He's refering to the undocumented facilities.
Watson reveals masses of 'hidden jewels' in several of the modules.

-Doug wrote:
> BlackBox very nicely solves this problem by allowing underscore
> to be a valid character for identifiers (and names).  Makes converting
> from C to Component Pascal much nicer.

Well if acceptable 'work-arounds' are available, we don't want to
break the founding rules ?

But this again exposes the SCANDAL of the underscore !
I didn't realise that it was an underscore.
{Another example for ghost: where mouse-pasting is better than typing}
This underscore patch, which I did last year(s) and submitted for approval
and incorporation, was too trivial (like the destroyed space ship's O-ring)
to be attended to by n-o leaderdship, and it still appears in the latest
FAQ is a 'do it your self patch'.   After how many years ?

BTW I've set my Oberon.Text  's  NewsFont = <revisedOberon10>.Scn.Fnt
which of course handles the underscore and also shows: german, french
& swedish characters.    That one just needed to fill in various unused
char values, via FontEditor.Panel, again demonstrates n-o's ease of use.

As an example of 'never being completed', I've seen  a rare char in french
text: apparently "i-umlaut" (re. english:maize ?), which is still missing.
Is this a valid french char ?   I'm guessing that the spanish, portuguese
special chars also fit in to various still free values ?
What a beautiful/simple solution for a multi-lingual newsreader.
What we need is co-ordination from n-o leaderdship, instead of 50
users hacking away, privately in their own little corner ?

Pieter wrote:
> To extract files with names not compatible with a Native Oberon
> file system, use a command like the following:
>
> ZipTool.Extract ZipFile { ForeignFileName => OberonFileName } ~
> .... where { } indicates repetition.
>
> Another option is to extract the files to a FAT file system:
>
> ZipTool.ExtractAll \p FAT: ZipFile ~
> .... where FAT: is the prefix of a FAT file system.

This would be an OK compatability 'work around'.

ZipTool.Extract Temp.zip  DUG_IDE.C  => DUG4IDE.C ~ ==
 DUG_IDE.C => DUG4IDE.C file encrypted / compression method not
supported, could not extract

ZipTool.ExtractAll C: Temp.zip ~  ==
ZipTool.ExtractAll C: not found
ZipTool.ExtractAll Temp.zip   <---- ? perhaps it's seeing SYS: Temp.zip
 DUG_IDE.C bad file name
0 files extracted, 1 errors

System.RenameFiles Temp.zip => Temp.zipz ~
ZipTool.ExtractAll C: Temp.zip ~  ==
ZipTool.ExtractAll C: not found    <-- ? no! it saw: C:/FLOPPY.BAK/Temp.zip
ZipTool.ExtractAll Temp.zip not found

ZipTool.ExtractAll \p C: Temp.zip ~  ==
C:DUG_IDE.C file encrypted / compression method not supported,
could not extract 0 files extracted, 1 errors

Perhaps there's something 'special' with this ?.zip of mine ?
Now I can't remember where I got it.
Perhaps mail-list archive tells ?

There is no "\p" in ANY *.Tool ?

-- Chris Glur.