[Oberon] Reason for 'read pio error' ?

Stefan Salewski Salewski at PHYSnet.Uni-Hamburg.de
Sat Aug 31 19:05:00 CEST 2002

On Sat, 31 Aug 2002 15:03:11 +0200 Andreas Dörr wrote:
> Currently I use a 5GB partition for Bluebottle. While trying
> to format a second 5GB partition with AosFS I got an error
> '2820' at lba 12991229.

I think the 8GB-Limit still exist for Bluebottle and
ETH-Native-Oberon. This means Bios-calls are used to access the
harddisk, and this method is limited to the first 8 GB. I am
not sure if this is still true for newest Bios, but it was true
too for my /boot-partition of my Linux-Installation.

Try to use partitions below the 8GB-limit at the start of the
disk. Two 4 GB Partitions at the start of the disk should work,
maybe a little bit smaller to be safe.

I cant imagine how you will fill 5 GB with Bluebottle. The size
of OS is less than 50 MB. I use two 1GB partitions at the
beginning of my 40 GB disk, one for BlueBottle, the other for
ETH-Native-Oberon. Both have much free space.

Best regards

  Stefan Salewski