Re. [Oberon] Reason for 'read pio error' ?

cglur at onwe.co.za cglur at onwe.co.za
Sat Aug 31 20:34:09 CEST 2002

Andreas wrote:

> Currently I use a 5GB partition for Bluebottle. While trying to format a
> second 5GB partition with AosFS I got an error '2820' at lba 12991229.
>
> Some source code reading revealed the origin of that error code. It comes
> from the procedure "ReadPIO", which is part of module "AosATADisk". "2820"
> means "pio read error". As I understand it, the pio protocol is used to
> communicate with the hard disk.
>
> Does anyone know what is a typical reason for such an error? My first guess
> was a bad block on the hard disk. However, a modern IDE hard disk (it is an
> IBM-DARA-218000) should handle bad blocks at the hardware layer. For
> example with something like transparent bad block swapping.
>
> The only workaround I currently know is to define a small partition that
> includes the conspicuous block. This partition will not be used. Since the
> number of partitions is limited this is not a very good workaround :-(

? number of partitions is limited ?
Is this the Microsoft limit of 4 ?
Under native-oberon I use dozens of partitions - as directories.
Linux would check for 'bad blocks'.
And I guess native-oberon does too, during format.

Since Micro$hit's policy is to squash all other OS's, perhaps best give
it the prime location of the first partiton(s), and let the others 'hide
behind the fence'.

For those who dare to step outside M$ limits with PC's, it's good
to be allied with linux.  There are many soldier to clear the way for you.

Pioneering a new OS together with a new computer/IDE is daring.

-- Chris Glur.