[Oberon] Bug report: Character insert speed in Edit under 8.24 alpha NO

muller at inf.ethz.ch muller at inf.ethz.ch
Sun Sep 1 12:33:24 CEST 2002

pat at picoworks.com wrote:
> I just received a 3C900B-TBO
> and so I'm making the switch to standalone Native Oberon.

Congrats!

> Character insertion under Edit lags normal typing by quit a bit
> while Script seems to easily keep up.

I've seen this in some cases, but haven't found the cause yet.
It might be related to the display driver, because it seems to
be restricted to some machines.

Which display driver are you using?  Check the output of
Partitions.GetConfig ^ for your boot partition, or your
native.par file if booting via noboot.exe.

See if you can set up an experiment to find the problem.
You would need to write a test program to broadcast some
Oberon.InputMsg consume messages to simulate keyboard
input (see how Oberon.Loop does it).

Then you can use a profiler to see where the time is spent.
There are two (unsupported) profilers for Native:
  ftp://ftp.inf.ethz.ch/pub/ETHOberon/Contrib/Native/
  StatProf.Mod (pjm) and Profiler.Mod (prk)
I'll see if they can be added to the release.

-- Pieter

--
Pieter Muller, Computer Systems Institute, ETH Zurich / MCT Lab, Zurich
Native Oberon OS: http://www.oberon.ethz.ch/native/