[Oberon] Reason for 'read pio error' ?

Patrik Reali reali at acm.org
Mon Sep 2 22:07:03 CEST 2002

From: "Andreas Dörr" <andreas.doerr at workingobjects.de>
> >Unfortunately this is currently the only workaround, since the AosFS
> >file system does not handle bad blocks.  What needs to be done is:
> >
> >1. detect bad blocks in Partitions.Format
> >2. create a file that contains all these bad blocks
>
> Well I guess, almost all file systems suppose to operate on a perfect
> media. I would not expect bad block handling from AosFS.
>
> Creating a file that contains all these bad blocks is the most
> straightforward solution to the problem. From my point of view it has the
> following drawback: Save access to a partition containing a bad sector
file
> is only possible on file level. Any tool accessing the partition on disk
> block level will fail.

Before you start working too much in this direction, you should be sure that
a single block is the cause of all troubles. In Aos, there is a command to
write one or more blocks to a file: you should try to write the offending
block and then the (separatedly) teh blocks are it. This could tell if only
one block or every block past that one has the same behaviour.

I'm sorry I can't give you the command right away, I'm just under the wrong
system at the moment.

-Patrik