Re (2): [Oberon] Partitions -> Killer-ap

cglur at onwe.co.za cglur at onwe.co.za
Thu Sep 5 11:09:48 CEST 2002

Pieter wrote:
> Try Sort.Sort * from Sort.Tool .

This confirms (again) all the stuff that's available, but not used.
Also Its good to be able to use existing facilities, instead of adding.

<fileID>\ft  \  System.Directory ^ \  F1 \ Sort.Sort  *
  (almost) would be great to show the dir-STACK.
Pity the date-format is 'mix-endian' instead of most significant
left to right ordered.
Several applications would want the date format to be 'machine
(not human) style'.

-------------------
Re. example for outside users of what n-o can do.

Imagine a 1M4 diskette which starts/runs in a few seconds:
 -  showing the ETH logo (discrete [swiss like])
 -  utility best to be menu driven
 -  obviously need to be ML activated (perhaps any/all button)
 -  perhaps also num-pad driveable for users without a mouse.
 -  for eg. Partitions.Show detail ~
 -  perhaps enter a set of strings and partition, block-range
      to search/recover lost data.
 -  and other facilities to 'see' various hardware...

I have IDEs which various linux have problems fdisk-ing (FAT-partitions)
and MS-DOS 6.22 & Win 98 can't see.
Every time n-o sees every thing, without fail.
Now with increasing numbers of linux experimenters, restoring
MBRs is often needed.  MS- fdisk \MBR failed for me and also my
aquaintence who uses only the latest MS.
Despite much effort I can't get confirmation (or not) that MBR's depend
on the geometry. In which case A valid MBR can be recreated from the
interogated geometry ?

-- Chris Glur.