[Oberon] Re: PAP and usernames with at

eas-lab at absamail.co.za eas-lab at absamail.co.za
Wed Oct 23 15:14:56 CEST 2002

---  snip source code provided ----
jmdrake_98 at yahoo.com (jmdrake) wrote:-
> I've tested the solution.  Let's say you have the userid "the at user", an
> ISP of "my.isp" and a password of "easypassword".  To set this you would
> type in the command:
>
> NetSystem.SetUser ppp:the at user:easypassword at my.isp ~
>
> Then if you select "the at user" and click "Encoder.Encode" you get:
>
> NetSystem.SetUser ppp:the%40user:easypassword at my.isp ~
>
> Then clicking NetSystem.SetUser gives you:

Does this handle the case that your <loginName> is "big%dog" and
your <loginPassword> is "abc%123 at net" ?

Have you evidence that such <loginName>, <loginPassword> are not
possible/valid ?

My observations are that increasingly <loginName> , <loginPassword>
are allocated by the ISP.  Perhaps randomly generated, especially
when an ISP is associated with banking facilities.

Since the 'token separators' for the ISP-login stage are apparently:
white-space & CR/LF, and the problem is at the login stage, it is
inappropriate to 'work around'  "@" or any characters that only
have special significance once you are under internet-protocol.
I believe that all the IP-special-chars are valid chars for <loginName>
and <loginPassword>.

NetSystem.Mod  -> (* mg 16.08.96 *) needs to be re-designed,
not patched.

-- Chris Glur.

PS. Yes it's nice to be able to put all the parameters in a
file and just push one button.

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/mini/ISP-Connectivity-2.html

>pppd connect 'chat -v "" "your_init_string" "" ATDTisp_number CONNECT
>   "" ogin: your_username word: your_passwd' /dev/tty(0/1/2) speed modem

linux (THE standard) uses (here) white spaces for its token separators.