[Oberon] Programming Editor

John Drake jmdrake_98 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 23 21:31:51 CET 2003

Hello Aubrey,

I assume you meant "BlueBottle" as opposed to
"BlackBox"? :-) I seems that in seeking to
avoid acronym conflict with AOS, ETH has run
into a similair snag with BB.  ;-)  Perhaps
we could use BBCP and BBOS to differentiate?

You're ahead of me in programming under
BlueBottle.  But you did inspire me to do
a little experimentation.  As you figured
out the May 2002 build of BlueBottle seems
to use Edit.Open as the default for opening
text files as opposed to Desktops.OpenDoc.
Edit.Open doesn't support Gadgets and hence
the "error markers" didn't work right.
The ET editor also does not support Gadgets.
It does have some nice features such as a
configurable popup menu and auto indentation.
The Pet editor does support gadgets.  If you
do PetDocs.Open you get the everything in ET
minus the popup menu plus autocapitilization
and better keyboard navigation.  You can
still use popup windows if you use TextPopups.
While that doesn't come with BlueBottle it
should port easiliy.  Speaking of porting
The Pet editor requires module Log which
doesn't come with BlueBottle (at least not
the May 2002 release).  But Log should port
easily also since it's basically an enhanced
"Out" module.  When testing Pet on BlueBottle
I simply replaced the calls to Log with calls
to Out and wrote my own equivalent to Log.Set.

Regards,

John M. Drake