Re (3): [Oberon] Win32 Plugin Oberon, status report II

John Drake jmdrake_98 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 18 21:42:27 CET 2003

--- Edgar at EdgarSchwarz.de wrote:
> Perhaps you could simulate it (Wasn't there a
> discussion with Ulrich :-?)

*LOL* I suppose.

> The difference is in assignment compatibility I
> guess. With delegates
> prodecures with 'different' signatures are
> compatible because the implicit
> object parameter a method has isn't compared so you
> have more flexibility.

Hmmm...ok.  So basically it gets you away from
having to have a single type hiearchy?

> In AosFS.Mod you sent me:
>   Rider* = RECORD (Files.Rider);	(** not shareable
> between multiple processes *)
>     (* the rider must be a record, otherwise the
> Oberon text system will not work *)
> 	(** private fields for implementors *)
> 	apos*, bpos*: LONGINT;
> 	hint*: Hint;
> 	file*: File;
>   END;
> but in Native Files.Rider already has apos, bpos,
> hint and even file, but a
> 'Files.File' naturally IIRC. So there is a conflict.
> I'm not sure yet about the best fix.

Ahhhh...I see.  While I've been using the term
"Native" I've been testing everything on Plugin
Oberon.  The compilers for Native and
Plugin seem to be the same, clearly the "systems"
are not.  YAUPI (yet another unexpected
porting issue).  Try taking out the fields
that are conflicting.

> > taking a look at the DAV code again.  You're on
> > version 7 right?  Module WebDAV.Mod uses delegates
> > for the objects ChunkedOutStream and
> > ChunkedInStream.
> That's where the problem appeared for me.

I'll take a look at that then.

> > Another thought that this brings mind another idea
> > I've been kicking around for awhile.  I call it
> > the "convergent Oberon project".
> Here I see some problems. But no time to lay them
> down this evening.

Certainly.  I'm not sure if the goal of complete
convergence is possible at this point, in fact
I'm pretty sure it isn't.  But I think that
something in between that goal and where we are
now is possible.  Even if the language is
restricted to Oberon-2 it would yield some
usefull results since most compilers support
that (even Bluebottle when using a compiler
switch).  Of course making something that's
convergent and that people actually want to
use is another matter.  ;-)

> Cheers, Edgar

Regards,

John M. Drake