[Oberon] Repeat of untitled post re. USB Zip drive...

eas-lab at absamail.co.za eas-lab at absamail.co.za
Tue Mar 25 18:04:36 CET 2003

Hi,
 my previous post omitted the 'Subject'.
With todays's spam/virus wave, we often discard unidentified posts ?
Sorry.
------------------------

jmdrake_98 at yahoo.com (jmdrake) wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I was just wondering if anyone has managed to get a Zip drive to
> > work under BlueBottle or Native Oberon.  Here's the deal.  My
> > Windows 98 machine died on me yet again.  However I noticed that
> > I can still reach the FAT partiction if I boot BlueBottle from
> > a CD.  I can download files to floppies but of course that's
> > slow and painful.
>
> Edgar wrote:
> If you just want to save what you can from your dead (non booting)
> partition I would try to add a second disk and then copy the stuff over.
> Whether you do this with Bluebottle, Linux, W98 or other stuff
> you boot from CD or diskette doesn't matter.

Some people don't like to open the box and fiddle, but that's how
I would do it.   My boxes have no covers and IDEs loose to remove.
I have had FAT partitions that neither linux nor various MS-stuff
nor even the HD manufacturer's tools could access, yet n-o
could read with out problems !

cg> We need a documented simple method the copy from notebook
to pc via n-o.

Peter E.  wrote:
> If one of the machines can provide an FTP server
> from BlueBottle or Linux, PPP would also work
> over the null modem cable.

But why bother with an extra layer of complexity ?

> Did the photocopy of Ch. 15 arrive there yet?
Yes. Thanks !  I went today for the first time in 3 weeks
to empty my post box.

> --- eas-lab at absamail.co.za wrote:
>
> > Sorry, I can't help but I'm interested to see
> > any oberon code for Iomega Zip drives.
> >
> > I understand that BlueBottle uses/extends much of
> > the
> >  native-oberon code ?
> >
> > My 2001 version of n-o shows no applicable *ip.Obj .
> >
> > Where would I see some n-o appropriate/modifyable
> > source code for Iomega Zip drives, with out being
> > *swamped* by BlueBottle ?
>

> Hello Chris,
>
> I'm not very familair with N.O.  I experiment with
> BlueBottle quite a bit because I can boot from a
> CD, which means there's very little overhead to
> getting started.  (No need to partition hard disk,
> or even have a FAT partition).  Is there any way
> to do that with N.O.?
>
> Anyway back to your question.  The code that I
> used to do this didn't seem to be BlueBottle
> specific, but I don't know for sure.  I used
> OFS.Tool (Oberon File System?) to mount the
> Zip drive.  The internal Zip drive shows up
> as a removeable IDE Fat 16 partition.  Are
> you trying to use an IDE Zip drive or a
> parallel port Zip?

Previously I was interested in using parallel port Zip
for transfering between machines, but the advance of
technology has made IDE HDs so cheap that it's easier to
move them between machines.   I'm still interested to
see code for Zip (or any other devices) par-port drivers.

-- Chris Glur.