[Oberon] performance of oberon

Patrik Reali reali at acm.org
Sun Apr 13 22:51:13 CEST 2003

Dear Yuan,

> 1) what configuration of the computer that these sets of test are running
> on? CPU, memory?

I don't know either. The students forgot to mention it in the paper. My wild
guess
is 400MHz and 256 MB (our standard configuration at the time), but this may
be just wrong...

> 2)Can you explain the gcc -O0, -O1, -O2, -O3 's meanning this the first
> table? Also what is the number standing for in the table? compilation
> time, or running time for each language?

-Ox is  the compiler switch for gcc (0 = no optimizations, 3 = max
optimizations)
Please have a look at "man gcc" (the compiler documentation).
Roughtly:
O0: no optimizations
O1: common subexpression elimination + jump optimization
02: everything but function inlining
03: everything, incl. function inlining

> your comment are very useful to me, thanks!

Thanks! I guess you are making a comparison of many systems. It would be
nice if
you could post your results to this list too. It would be very useful for
us.

-Patrik