[Oberon] IMAP4 server

Aubrey McIntosh mcintosh at vima.austin.tx.us
Wed Jul 2 15:32:20 CEST 2003

At 10:26 PM 7/1/2003 +0200, you wrote:
> > I am convinced that, with an small enhancement, it would be the next "Big
> > Application"
>Me, too... Especially combined with some SPAM avoidance strategies.

I think I have a top level solid technical design for a SPAM avoidance
strategy that uses a completely novel approach, but is completely obvious
after disclosure.  I am still a little protective of it, but would discuss
it under promise of confidentiality.

> >I wonder if anyone had tried my tiny server on the 'not stable' releases?
>I am running the BimboSMTPServer, very similar code on the always freshest
>'not stable' releases on three machines. (I sent you the code January 21st
>but not to the list)
>The installations absorb thousands of spam email every month. The servers
>accept all the addresses but do only relay the ones with known destinations
>on the same machine. The message bodies of the "SPAM"s are thrown away.

I read the code then, line for line.  It is clearly constructed, and easy
to audit side by side with the RFC.  I encourage you to add it to the
release.  However, it forwards to a downstream SMTP service and I want to
place files on a filesystem (physical disk).

My application reads the incoming network and writes to the disk, and is
very slow.  My estimate is about 4 chars / second, or an hour to write a 14
Kb message ( ! )