[Oberon] n-o: timer-reset chit-chat

Vasile Rotaru vrotaru at seznam.cz
Mon Oct 20 07:19:47 CEST 2003

Peter, you wrote

> At work Oberon is beside Debian Linux.
> Oberon is much better than vi for reading manual
> pages and Oberon is better than Lynx for most
> Web browsing.  Conversely, Linux provides a pdf
> viewer.

  I still have to guess, how do you read manual pages using Oberon,

  "System.Execute man page | col -b" ??

  --------------------------------------

  BTW, there is a trick which works fine, for inspecting files.
Namely, the combination of

  System.Execute locate .ext (* or maybe find ... *)

and

  EditTool.OpenUnix ^

  Still there are two minor nuisances. The default font is
Oberon??.Scn.Fnt and you have to guess the the dashes from underscores,
and second, if you select a file named Some-File-Name
"EditTool.OpenUnix ^" will open just file Some. You have to quote Some-File-Name like this "Some-File-Name". Is not that hard, but the magic is gone... The same is true for changing the font from Oberon to Courier.

  (Besides I have to read the System.Mod to find out what System.Execute does).

  Shouldn't the default font for EditTool.OpenUnix/Ascii be Courier? And cannot it be an option in Oberon.Text? (Just a hint for the volunteers who support the Oberon Systems :).

  And you're welcome to convince me, that Oberon provides support for cooperative bug-fixing and refining.

> I prefer to describe Oberon and AOS as pipedreams
> partly realized.  Doesn't every invention begin
> as a dream?
>
> Regards,       Peter E.
>
>        http://carnot.pathology.ubc.ca/

Regards, Vasile