Accademic snobbery? Re: [Oberon] n-o: timer-reset chit-chat

John Drake jmdrake_98 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 21 06:10:17 CEST 2003

Hello all,

Ok, just when I think I've heard it all. ;-)

I can only speak for myself.  I'm currently not
an accademic and I've never been an "Oberon
accademic".  Sure I worked it in when
possible (almost "against" my advisor's
wishes) but it was never a crucial part
of anything I did.  From early on I have
been a "hobby programmer/user".  Currently
I work Oberon into my "real job".  I use
the ODBC driver in Linz Oberon V4 to do simple
data management tasks and the HTML-4 parser
available for System 3 (WebNavigator) to parse
SAS output.

That disclaimer out of the way I have my
own counter-rant.  Any non-commercial
programming community is only as strong as
it's "hobby" users, and frankly we all
leave a lot to be desired.  Accademic
snobbery preventing "HOWTOs"?  Please.
How hard is it to put together a HOWTO
on anything an put it on a web-site?
How much new Oberon documentation is
there?  As someone has already pointed
out there are HOWTOs in Oberon already.
(The HOWTOs for Gfx are fantastic).
Could there be more?  Certainly.
Where's the best place to initially
publish HOWTOs?  The web and in HTML!
Yeah, I know.  People want there stuff
to be part of "the distribution".  But
why wait for that?  Look at some of the
more vibrant programming communities
such as REBOL or Euphoria.  The
documentation available in the form of
online tutorials written by end-users
far outstrips what's available in the
official distribution.

Native Oberon on sourceforge?  Not a
bad idea.  But it would be nice if there
was a CVS client for Native Oberon.
There is a WebDAV client and sever for
BlueBottle Oberon and a WebDAV client for
AOSWindows.  Has anyone besides a small
handfull of people actually tried it?
If no, why not.  If yes, where is the
feedback?  I was make some progress
testing it out a couple of months ago,
but lately I've been swamped with work.
(No virus problems here).

Games?  Wrote one (PacMan).  Anyone actually
working on a 2-D game and need some pointers?
W3C standard browser?  See WebNavigator.
Does it need work?  You bet!  But rather than
being "snobbish" about it, the author actually
asked for some help some time ago.

A computer community (especially a non-commercial
one) lives and dies on feedback.  Ok, so now we
all know someone had a problem compiling Coco
generated files under n-o.  Great.  Now how about
some info about the ATG grammar you were trying
to compile?  How about the error message you got?
How does the problem get fixed if it's not detailed?

One thing that Chris has said in the past that I
will agree with is that it's also important once
we've fixed something or worked a problem out
that we share what we did with the group.  I've
done that sometimes, but not always.  Again I'm
only working on "hobby" time.  Perhaps a web-portal
would by a good "groupware" option to consider,
or even a Wiki (if one doesn't already exist).
But the bottom line is that someone in the
community will have to take the "bull by the
horns" and actually do it.

Regards,

John M. Drake