[Oberon] Files - search | Edit.

easlab at absamail.co.za easlab at absamail.co.za
Tue Nov 18 16:59:55 CET 2003

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 Alexander wrote:
> Is it possible to change the Length of Filenames to more than 32 chars?
> Hence the Aos-FS doesn't support directories, it would be good if one
> could manage his files by "emulating" directories with dots.

Well, the 32 char length is a very fundamental attribute of n-o (Aos-FS);
a bit like ten-fingures. Perhaps any change would be catastrophic ?
The next size would be 64.
Consider that 80 and 72 (email)  are standard line widths.
And then there's the extra chars for the partition ID eg:
  NoDocm:Chapter3.Text
Have you got partitons in Aos-FS ?

This 'no directories' topic has been discussed much, over the years.

Here's some background:------------