[Oberon] Re. BlueBottle/Oberon Internet Opportunity?

easlab at absamail.co.za easlab at absamail.co.za
Wed Dec 10 17:22:48 CET 2003

Douglas G. Danforth wrote:
> Digital Divide to Be Big Issue at U.N. Summit on Internet

UN is a wind-bag.  Any proper engineer/scientist would be very
frustrated working with these types.

> "The meeting will address four topics: Internet governance, the use of
> excess bandwidth to help development, connecting more people to
> communications networks and finding the appropriate technologies."
>
> Why not have ETHZ be a leader for coordinating the creation and
> distribution of low cost hardware and sotware for internet access to
> developing nations?

Oberon S3 with the flood of scrap (problematic to dispose of) pc's
from 1st world could fill a big 'need' in the 3rd world, but it will
never happen.  As with life and computing, the technical/physical
considerations are mostly irrelevant.  Everything is determined by
psychology,  witchcraft and spin-doctoring.

I've been on the simputer mailing list. (Indian originated, linux
based handheld, ARM CPU [apparently an ETH-oberon  ARM
compiler is available], with softmodem etc.)  It's going no-where;
they don't understand the dispersed collaboration paradigm, nor
even the fact that news/email threads become problematic with
top-posting.

BTW I must admit a fault related to promoting non-main-line
computing.  My repeated claim that the power of 3 button cording
is easily learned seems false.  An injury requires that I quickly learn
to mouse with the left hand.  Several hours of frustration over 3 days
proves that talking is easier than doing.

So M$ will continue to rule the world.

== Chris Glur.