[Oberon] Re: Gadgets with long strings

Patrick.Hunziker at unibas.ch Patrick.Hunziker at unibas.ch
Mon Apr 19 11:29:47 CEST 2004

One way would be to extend a TextFields.TextField for your purpose.
Fortunately, Emil Zeller has already done this in a similar way in
PasswordFields.Mod :
Use that Module as a skeleton, rename it, look at TYPE FrameDesc* and
PROCEDURE Handler*() and adapt just those fields/functionalities that are
suited to your needs.

Alternatively, use a TextGadget.Frame, eliminate the scrollbar and the
automatic scrolling (by setting the appropriate flags in .state or .state0
fields), and you have a text displaying gadget with arbitrary length text.
Here, you can not access a command string a simple as above, but you would
need to parse the text for the command. This means less implementation of
Handlers, but a little more implementation on retrieval of the text.

Another simple possibility would be to use the TextGadgets.Caption , because
this is also a text displaying gadgets with a full Texts.Text as its "hidden"
model, that is capable of displaying longer texts than a TextField.

A forth possibility of having multiple Textfields displaying multiple parts of
your command sequence would be simplest, but probably not adequate.

My recommendation: remain in the Gadgets World for Gadgets extension, and use
Oberon-1 for such endeavors because currently, Gadgets work on any Oberon
compiler.

Greetings
Patrick