[Oberon] Re: Oberon Digest, Vol 11, Issue 1

Jack Johnson knapjack at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 03:43:58 CEST 2004

On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 12:09:49 -0700 (PDT), John Drake
> Well it's an ill will that doesn't blow somebody
> some good. :) For instance I'm glad to hear you're
> doing some real work with BlueBottle.  Is this the
> renderer, Joy or something else?  At this point
> BlueBottle is still so new and the community so
> small that anything anybody is doing with it is
> interesting to me.

I seem to death-spiral around Bluebottle, Plan 9, Inferno, Squeak and
Linux, for various reasons.  I love Bluebottle, and it brings back
great memories of Oberon as my primary OS, but I find myself needing
some other service (lately CUPS for my wife's OSX laptop or a decent
browser for my online banking) and I'm too lazy or ill-equiped to
implement the missing bits and pieces or I get too attached to some
other aspect of some other OS.

I also like to delude myself into thinking that a single OS will meet
my needs and curiosities.

One thing I do love about Bluebottle is the implementation of nearly
everything from Jef Raskin's book The Humane Interface.  I wonder if
Jef knows?

-Jack