[Oberon] Installing Native Oberon

Marius Amado Alves amado.alves at netcabo.pt
Tue Apr 12 22:42:08 CEST 2005

> One of the installation options should offer you the chance to place
> the
> Oberon bootstrap loader (OBL) on the MBR - this should remove LILO.

I tried this. No joy.

>  The
> alternatives are to simply add the Oberon partition to /etc/fstab

I saw this in the documentation but have trouble understanding the role
of /etc/fstab, a Linux thing, on building a non-Linux box. Maybe it's
just a way to configure LILO, and afterwards Linux can disappear, and
LILO stays configured, is that it? But I'd rather have only Oberon
tools installed, not LILO. Or doesn't Oberon (Native, Bluebottle?) have
this item, thus requiring a 'foreign' loader like LILO or GRUB.

>  or to boot
> from a floppy.

That's what I've been doing, but want to avoid.

>  I have not done any Native installations recently, but recall
> that there was a problem if the partition was located beyound the 8G
> limit.

No problem here. The disk is 1G, 2G maximum (this is another doubt I
have; some tools report 1G, others 2G).

>> Do I have to erase the old Linux installation? How?
> No. During the installtion a viewer marked Partition.Tool should be
> open.

I don't recall Partition.Tool, but my neurons are not fresh, I'll check
tomorrow (the box is at the office; I'm at home now).

> Bluebottle supports SMP (I think around 4
> CPUs, but Native will only use one)

Should I retry Bluebottle? Is there a (true) floppy image? The system
doesn't boot any of the CDs. I burned the CDs on my iBook laptop with
the standard Apple OS X tools, namely Disk Utility. Can that be the
problem? I read in the Bluebottle documentation recommendations of some
other tools; I assumed Disk Utility would do; maybe I'm in a state of
sin.

Is this the right list for Bluebottle?

Thanks a lot.