[Oberon] Installing Native Oberon, ... continued.

Aubrey McIntosh mcintosh at vima.austin.tx.us
Thu Apr 21 07:02:50 CEST 2005

At 05:54 PM 4/20/2005, Jack Johnson wrote:

>On 4/20/05, Marius Amado Alves <amado.alves at netcabo.pt> wrote:
> > Just one disk for now. I gathered from other posts here that Oberon
> > simply won't boot from disk. I can live with that. That's the meaning
> > of "gave up."
>
>Oberon boots fine from disk -- usually you'll wait longer for the BIOS
>than for Oberon to boot -- but to me it sounded like you had hit some
>roadblocks with partitioning and configuring the bootloader.
>
>If you have a Windows or Linux box, you could experiment with QEMU and
>work through the installation process before touching real hardware.
>Knowing that you're working with a single, empty disk I'd be happy to
>write up a step-by-step that takes some of the guesswork out of the
>normal installation document.
>
>-Jack

As I understand things to this point:

1.  Bluebottle is the original system of interest.
2.  You had LILO and a Linux system, but are willing to go single system
for Bluebottle/Native.
3.  The CD doesn't give boot success.
4.  Someone mentioned replacing the MBR, but I didn't notice details to
make me believe you did.
5.  You have native oberon booting from floppy, but not from HD.
I don't know if you have USB or a network card on the machine.  Both of
those give more choices.  I did just read my BB-bootable Compact Flash disk
from Native, and one of my machines can boot from USB.

The next step is to see if you can mount the BlueBottle CD from within
Oberon.  I just proved this on my Dell Optiplex GX1 with an AOpen CD-R
using the 11.10.2001 Oberon0 Boot disk.  If you can, I would make a small
primary partition (125 MB) and then install BlueBottle from CD to its own
partition using Native to do the installation.  Make a boot floppy for
Bluebottle.

I did spend a very long time at this point until I realized that the CD
that Dell put on their OptiPlex GX1 systems would not work with BlueBottle
(I don't know about Native).  I went and got a more recent CD and things
moved forward again.  It hung after the options menu, the video was black,
and for more than a year I thought it was a video configuration problem.

At this point, boot to BlueBottle and replace the MBR with the BlueBottle
boot manager.  This is the last item, Nr. 7, in the AosInst.Tool.  Normally
I would keep the MBR that I start with, but in your case this is not
working.  Of course, you may wish to save the existing MBR while you still
can.

Hopefully at that point you would be able to boot both Native and
Bluebottle from the hard disk.  It boots shockingly fast.  Hold down the
shift or ctl key toward the end of the POST.  An ascii bluebottle
configuration screen should appear.  This will verify that the boot loader
has loaded.

Good luck, give detail should something fail.