Re (2): [Oberon] repair to HTMLDocs.Mod.

Thomas Frey thomas.frey at alumni.ethz.ch
Thu May 12 18:47:01 CEST 2005

> Centralization of configuration of Oberon in Oberon.Text
> was one of its many advantages.  Seems that Aos might be
> drifting away from this concept.  Ie. Aos.Par,
> AosConfig.XML, Menu.Personal.XML, TextPopups.Text & etc.
> A Devil's Advocate might wonder whether this
> diversification is really beneficial.  I understand that
> Aos.Par is not XML; could the Aos.Par be in a comment?
> Eg.
Aos.par is not really used as a file. It is the boot configuration and
contains parameters that are needed in the boot process far before the
system is ready to run a file-system or an XML parser.
We are currently trying to move the network configuration from Aos.par
into AosConfig.XML because of new options and possibilities with IP v4
and v6 that can be better configured in XML than in the simple key/value
scheme of Aos.par.
Personalized items in separate files simplify the update process since
the files can be saved as whole and dont need to be merged manually. (We
encourage our students to update every other day ;-) )

--Thomas