[Oberon] Re: Centralization of configuration

Paul Reed paulreed at paddedcell.com
Fri May 13 15:31:22 CEST 2005

> From: Thomas Frey <thomas.frey at alumni.ethz.ch>
> Subject: Re: Re (2): [Oberon] repair to HTMLDocs.Mod.

[Peter wrote...]
>> Centralization of configuration of Oberon in Oberon.Text
>> was one of its many advantages.  Seems that Aos might be
>> drifting away from this concept.  Ie. Aos.Par,
>> AosConfig.XML, Menu.Personal.XML, TextPopups.Text & etc.
>> A Devil's Advocate might wonder whether this
>> diversification is really beneficial.
> We are currently trying to move the network configuration from Aos.par
> into AosConfig.XML because of new options and possibilities with IP v4
> and v6 that can be better configured in XML than in the simple key/value
> scheme of Aos.par.
> Personalized items in separate files simplify the update process since
> the files can be saved as whole and dont need to be merged manually. (We
> encourage our students to update every other day ;-) )

A compromise might be to have a master Par file which "includes",
or XLinks, those other files. Then at least, the master file
would be a starting point, conceptually complete, and
self-explanatory (you'd know what other files to look at).

When other parts become stable, you could bring them in instead
of XLink-ing them.

Just a thought.

Paul Reed