[Oberon] BB on IDE3#03 and boot diskette

easlab at absamail.co.za easlab at absamail.co.za
Sat May 21 20:58:13 CEST 2005

I won't edit out the "=20" & "=3D", which M$loth generates.
Nobody ever could tell me what it looks like for them.
It's as if you're talking about ghosts, and others just change the subject.

Op Thursday 19 May 2005 22:55 schreef edgar at edgarschwarz.de:
>  > Hi,
>  > I have still my two problems:
>  > 1. Did anybody ever boot Bluebottle from a IDE2 ? Or IDE1/2 ?

I'm guessing you mean boot from boot diskette TO [root=] IDE2.
Yes no problem - for n-o.  I'm guessing Bluebottle is similar ?

Jan Verhoeven wrote
> I did. It ran.
>
>  >    If yes: could I please have a description how he did it and a hex
>  > dump of his boot sector ?
>
> I just followed the install script. Then I wanted to install it on IDE0.=20
> But that didn't work. I could install just about any OS, but not Oberon o=
> r=20
> BlueBottle.
> So now it is yet another Linux machine. And I installed Oberon on another=
> =20
> computer.
>
>  > 2. I need a detailed description how to make an Bluebottle bootdisk wi=
> th
>  >    diskette#0. Formatting, ... Especially for a IDE3 Bluebottle.
>  >    A bootdisk worked with previous versions using a DOS formatted
>  > diskette, but it seems no more :-(
>
> You get the diskimage and wave your magic wand, while typing ojn the=20
> keybored:
>
> =09dd bs=3D512 if=3D/Oberon0.dsk of=3D/dev/fd0 <Enter>
>
> That did the trick for me.
>
> My 'untrusty' IDE0 disk had a rather silly problem and it could be=20
> recognized by the fact that 'Partition.Show' never worked first time, but=
> =20
> always second time.
> On Lithium and other systems, Partition.Show just works always.=20

Yes, it's amazing that/how IDEs are 'non deterministic'.
Apparently it's an accepted tradition to 'try repeated times' !
AFAIR Partition.Mod has got some 'places' where repeated tries
are used.

BTW Partition.Mod is excellent.  And a good tutorial for IDE theory.
Again today it made installing an 80GB IDE doable where linux's
fdisk, cfdisk couldn't manage the '> 32 GB limit' issue.
In the process I used SYS: @ IDE2#20 for n-o to help manage
what linux - and of course M$ couldn't do.

The floppy is written for IDE0#16, so I just had to:
<shift> during boot and edit the appropriate line to ...IDE2#20..,
followed by "c" after confirming the echo.

Another nice thing about n-o is that because the root-partition is
integral [as SYS] you can install initially to say IDE0#02 and then
later 'plug the IDE in at' IDE2#02.   Everything is relative to 'SYS:'.
And with the data files on different partitons 'moving for
backup-cycling' the symbolic addressing [eg IDE2#24 = Partiton 'dog']
solves that problem.

What amazes me is that the multiple partitions worked out so well.
I'm sure it wasn't envisaged during the initial design of n-o.

== Chris Glur.