Re (2): [Oberon] BB on IDE3#03 and boot diskette

edgar at edgarschwarz.de edgar at edgarschwarz.de
Sun May 22 15:48:58 CEST 2005

jan verhoeven wrote:
>  >    If yes: could I please have a description how he did it and a hex
>  > dump of his boot sector ?
> I just followed the install script.
After installing on IDE3 and reading the following in betadocu.htm:
  Another thing to check is that the byte at offset 24H is the boot drive number
  (80H in the example). This should be 0 for diskette A:, 80H for the first BIOS
  disk drive, 81H for the second BIOS disk drive, etc.
I assumed that I need to patch 83H. But wrong :-( it must be 81H. I think the "etc"
makes it easy miss the 81H. It works now. I boot with NT bootloader because I also
have XP on this machine.
So is there somthing similar to betadocu.htm for Bluebottle ? Because it`s for
Native and rather old probably.

>  > 2. I need a detailed description how to make an Bluebottle bootdisk with
>  >    diskette#0. Formatting, ... Especially for a IDE3 Bluebottle.
>  >    A bootdisk worked with previous versions using a DOS formatted
>  > diskette, but it seems no more :-(
> You get the diskimage and wave your magic wand,
> 	dd bs=512 if=/Oberon0.dsk of=/dev/fd0 <Enter>
This gives me an Oberon0.dsk. But not a boot disk for booting an Oberon partition
by diskette instead using another bootloader. So I don`t need it anymore.
But I still think AosInst.Tool should be explain how to format an Oberon diskette
(with reserved sectors, UpdateBootFile, ,,,) before writing the bootconfig to
Diskette0#0.
Because I get a "BootIni error 1007" If I try to format a diskette :-(

And now I only have to buy a cheap Realtek network card tomorrow because
Bluebottle doesn't seen to understand my "VIA compatible" ethernet.
Then I can finally go to work with WebDAV again and solve locally a problem I
still have with AosIO on the network. For big files it's slowing down after
a while exponentially.
By connecting two PCs in my LAN I don`t need to run the server in Zürich
while testing with the somehow very slow VNC (Also perhaps a network problem)

Cheers, Edgar

BTW, I just read something about xen.fs.net. An open source virtual machine.
So if in addition to Linux and other OSes Bluebottle could run with Xen this
would eliminate the need for a Bluebottle port to '86 Linux.

--
edgar at edgarschwarz.de,       Running Bluebottle           www.edgarschwarz.de
      Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler !  Albert Einstein