[Oberon] newbie questions about oberon and bluebottle

Smoke Bellew smoke.bellew at gmail.com
Wed May 25 12:17:16 CEST 2005

Hello.
I have read many pages about oberon, but still
have many questions related to oberon and bluebottle.

1. is oberon language different from other modern object pascal
languages(fpk,delphi)?
What is they differences except syntaxis

2. Where can I find active oberon comprehencive documentation and code
examples?
I like freepascal documentation, there are documented all functions in
all units, and
You can easily realize which unit to use if you need that function.

3. From where can I download Oberon compiler&docs for Linux, Windows,
Linux PPC ???
Which compiler supposed to be the best?
I know about xds compiler and ooc2 (optimising oberon compiler).
Are they away from oak guildelines?

4. Is there any IDE for Linux?

5. What means Native Oberon?
I have downloaded and installed Oberon for Linux (x86)  version 2.3.8
and didn't yet realize what is it -  simply Oberon System emulated in
Linux?

And for what I need it?
BTW, it is freezed all my system (fedora core 3) when I close the
oberon window and force me to reboot.

6. Which is BlueBottle and Oberon System differences?

7. Is it possible to replace BlueBottle gui with other? Just like in
Linux you have to choice between many de and wm's.
May be I'd like to write my own gui.

8. How I can help Oberon/BlueBottle and where I can send patches, and
new programs.

9. Is ttf fonts supported in bluebottle, and if yes, how I can add
unicode ttf font, and configure new, armenian layout and switch layouts
pressing some keys?

10. How possible translate system for displaying menus and more in
other langs?

11. I didn't find terminal in BlueBottle ;)

12. I can't install BlueBottle on  the hard drive in virtual machine
(vmware) yet.
In the File Manager I can see only RAM and CD. THere is no hd, but I
have created one. I didn't pake dos partition? I have to do it
myself???

13. How to use LILO or GRUB for configure multiboot linux/Bluebottle?

14. Which file systems are supported?

15. Is there any except programmers editing tool for BlueBottle

16. How call autocomplete in PET ?

17. is it possible or planned to port gcc?

18. I didn't understand yet how to install BlueBottle.
Just copy all files from cd to one partition and make it bootable ?

19. Where is located system files, libs, executables?

20. What is obx and mod extensions?

21. How change process priority?

Thank You