[Oberon] Re: Occasional data transfer between boxes ?

shark at gulfnet.sd64.bc.ca shark at gulfnet.sd64.bc.ca
Thu Aug 11 19:22:48 CEST 2005

Chris,

cg> Is this [Zip] the Iomega technology ?

I believe so ... and the Jaz drives had
bigger capacities such as 1 GB.

cg> I guess they are redundant given present
solid-state devices, now ?

Aos has both the UHCI and OHCI drivers and can
operate any current USB controller.

Native Oberon has UHCI but not OHCI.  It can
operate the on-board USB controllers made by
Intel but not most of the USB expansion cards.

cg> Are the successors of n-o ready for heavy duty work yet ?

Some information about my sample systems is on
my Web site; more information soon.

cg> How can I ftp [easily] directly between boxes ?

All your desktop machines at one site should be
on an Ethernet LAN.  You can buy a 10 Mb/s hub or
router for a few dollars.  Your old laptop with
NO can connect to a linux machine using TCP/IP/PPP
over a null modem cable connected to a serial port
on each end.  Configure the Linux PPP to sustain
the connection so it doesn't disconnect when idle.
You should be able to configure so that you can
walk in with the laptop, plug it in, and ftp or
http immediately with the login automated or
suppressed according to your preference.

PPP over the null modem will be similar to TCP/IP
over ethernet but not quite so fast.

cg> Isn't it better to fix/tune the existing ?

Nothing to fix.  We are talking about configuring
and using extant capabilities.

cg> Yes, I have degenerated to inter-plugging the 6 IDEs
and CD-ROM between the 3 desktop-boxes.

Not so bad is it?  The disk drive in a tray is
heavier than a USB stick but the drive is also
faster and cheaper.

cg> A notebook, being closed, ...

See above.

Josef reported,