[Oberon] Notebook and Bluebottle (2)

John Drake jmdrake_98 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 19 22:49:41 CEST 2005

--- edgar at edgarschwarz.de wrote:

> Hi,
> some Details added.
> I have a new Fujitsu/Siemens Amilo L7300 notebook.
> When I boot Bluebottle from CD (CD works on other
> machine) I get a
> "Oberon loading" and the screen goes blank :-(
> When interrupting boot I see that screen is 1024x768
> which is okay for my screen.
>
> XP System ist telling me:
> - Processor: Intel Celeron M360, 1,4 GHz
> - Graphics: VIA/S3G UniChrome Pro IPG, Manual says:
> VIA PN800
> - VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter
> - Ralink RT2500 Wireless LAN Card
> - NO PS2 port -> USB Mouse (Even wireless atm)
> - NO Floppy -> DVD Dual Layer instead.
> - NO serial port -> no serial debugging.
>
> Proposals
> - Stop boot with shift, change to external monitor,
> continue boot
>   => also goes blank
> - Set MaxProcs=1 => doesn't help
>
> Any more ideas what to do with this hardware ?

My guess is that the problem is the video chipset.
(VIA/S3G UniChrome Pro IPG).  I have access to
various computers at work.  I've never had trouble
booting a BlueBottle CD on an ATI or NVidia.
I've got an SiS graphics card at home.  It SUCKS
but it supports VESA well enough to boot BlueBottle.
However I've never been able to get an Intel
Extreme Graphics powered system to boot BlueBottle.
(This is bad because Intel Extreme Graphics
chipsets are very prolific on low end systems.)

I had never heard of UniChrome before today, but
when I Googled it I saw other people were having
problems with it for certain games.

(For example:
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/580100736/m/2451028043)

There is a Sourceforge effort to write Linux drivers
for UniChrome.

See:

http://unichrome.sourceforge.net/

Side note, it would be nice if there was someway to
directly use Linux drivers from BlueBottle or to
convert them somehow.  Pipedream I know.

Regards,

John M. Drake