[Oberon] LinAos

Felix Friedrich friedrich at gsf.de
Fri Sep 2 08:40:05 CEST 2005

Hi,

the main obstacle on the way to a LinAos system is not portability
w.r.t. the underlying version of Linux (as far as I know the Linux
Oberon Platform runs on many of the current distributions).

It is in fact hard and detailed work at the very base of Bluebottle/Aos,
i.e. providing modules such as AosActive, AosKernel etc., changing
interface of AosModules and the Linker to make concurrency work. The
process is complicated because there are some points on the way where
the system has to be compiled from bottom to top and then rebooted and
used for further implementation, in other words the system has to be
bootstrapped over and over again for each change of the compiler /
Object files. I know that because I did the very same thing to WinAos.

I think that the very first steps can only be done by one person alone.
Once they are done, remaining work and bug fixes may be scheduled to
different persons. I am very interested in a LinAos system.

Felix.