Re (3): [Oberon] LinAos

John Drake jmdrake_98 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 6 15:33:42 CEST 2005

--- edgar at edgarschwarz.de wrote:

> John Drake <jmdrake_98 at yahoo.com>
> > I see only one minor drawback to SourceForge and
> > that is the lack of a CVS client for Oberon.
> > (Or if there is one I don't know about it.)  I
> Pieter made one.

My understanding is all this client does is
convert Oberon text files to/from "marked up"
ASCII.  I've never understood the point of that
considering Oberon already had that functionality.
But maybe someone can correct my misunderstanding.
When I think "cvs client" I think of something
that can attach to the server (this client has
no networking code) show version histories
and file diffs ect.

> > had once thought about WebDAV for such a project,
> > but the eth WebDAV server is down more than
> > up.  (I think it's down now.  I quit trying
> > to use it.)  I've tried the WebDAV client with
> > a Zope webserver and I suppose a free Zope
> > server could work.
> The problem with the ETH WebDAV server is at least
> twofold.
> First I didn't have time for finishing WebDAV now
> for at least a year.

I was under the impression that it was basically
finished.  When the server was up it pretty much
worked as expected.  What sort of things are you
seeking to add?

> But as you see I'm more active again :-)

Great!  And I'm glad to see this general uptick
in activity.

> Second, it was a pain in the neck to maintain the
> server at ETH because
> somehow my VNC connection to the ETH machine running
> the server was VERY
> slow. So it was nearly impossible to work there.

I've never actually tried Oberon's VNC
client/server (I guess I should) but
I've use RealVNC quite a bit.  There's
something odd about it performance wise.
Sometimes when I connect to my boss's home
computer from work performance is abysmal
even though she has a cable modem.  However
when I connect to my work computer from home
or the road performance is decent even though
I'm using a dial up connection.

> And when I have some working stuff on my notebook I
> will tackle the WebDAV
> stuff again. Mostly test and documentation I think.

Well maybe I can help out with some of the
testing at least.

> And I hope to be able
> to test server/client in my local LAN then which
> avoids the slow VNC.
> So there is hope again.
>
> Cheers, Edgar

There's always hope. :)