[Oberon] LNO > framebuffer > VNC ?

easlab at absamail.co.za easlab at absamail.co.za
Mon Jan 30 05:08:25 CET 2006

Peter Matthias wrote:
If you still want to run LNO you should run it without X
in the framebuffer.

So I've queried the *linux* newsgroups 'how to run a framebuffer',
since previous googling didn't provide an answer.

Apparently the effort can be partly amortised on investigating
 the VNC project, which also fails[ed].

Some folks imply that my problem is that I'm still living in the
previous millenium.  So I'll try to find the latest.

TODAY's URL: "http://www.oberon.ethz.ch/native/"
 shows:
"Latest PC Native Release (2.3.6) [next release early 2003]
Latest PC Native Beta Release (08.12.00) [next beta early 2003]
Latest PC Native Alpha Version (updated often)
- Oberon VNC page" -> http://www.oberon.ethz.ch/native/vnc/"

    and
http://www.cs.inf.ethz.ch/group/gutknecht/\
stud_work/1999SS_jkreienb/
says:
" With a VNC-Viewer, it is possible to look at the framebuffer
of a remote VNC-Server and send keyboard or mouse
commands to it...."

Q1 - what is the oldest version of N-O's VNC which worked ?

Q2 - Is TODAY's oberon.ethz.ch/native/ uptodate re.
   "next release early 2003" ?

Q3 - did I also get to 'not the latest' with
 ftp://ftp.inf.ethz.ch/pub/software/Oberon/System3/\
Native/LinuxBased/lno020127.tgz   ?

== Chris Glur.