[Oberon] Re: Oberon Digest, Vol 30, Issue 21

Rory Starkweather starkweatherr at mchsi.com
Sun Mar 26 16:40:37 CEST 2006

>I would heartily recommend Blackbox.  I was working on a VisualBasic database
>project and was being frustrated.  I decided to try using Blackbox, even though
>my experience with it at that time was very limited.  I was very quickly able to
>accomplish my aims, and haven't looked back since.  It was faster to re-develop
>an existing VB application in Blackbox while learning it, then it was to stay in
>VB.  In VB I was finding myself hamstrung and fighting to work around limitations.
>
>In VB the code is intimately connected to the GUI.  In Blackbox one can write
>the code and interface independently and connect later.  Working with Blackbox
>feels "lighter" - I felt as if heavy cords binding me down were cut away.
>
>Antony Tersol

I haven't been happy with VB for a long time. The new .Net version is a
step in a direction that I don't want to go. The only real problem I see
with Oberon is that it isn't used more widely, and I really can't
understand why.

 That said, I have both POW and Black Box up and running now and am
ready to start learning. The next step is to find reference material. It
would make me very happy if everyone would agree that I could get by
with Wirth's 'Programming in Oberon' and 'Algorithms and Data
Structures' for a while, because I can't afford to buy any books right now.

Are there any other free downloads that would help get me started?