[Oberon] Re. Native Oberon on sourceforge

jan verhoeven jan at verhoeven272.nl
Sat Apr 8 15:35:47 CEST 2006

Op Saturday 08 April 2006 04:16 schreef easlab at absamail.co.za:

 > Previously we dicussed oberon0.dsk being GPL. I suggested that the real
 > inner-guts/kernel..etc. would not be available.
 >
 > Peter E. wrote:
 >> In case it helps any, Oberon0 is built & etc. in Native.Tool. The
 >> sources are referenced there and were on ftp.oberon.ethz.ch a few
 >> months ago at least.
 >
 > Did anybody confirm that this allows an Oberon0 to be built without any
 > extra 'key part' ?

I went to the website and couldn't find anything worthwhile.

 > >  - Oberon0 compilers written in another language (preferably Modula-2
 > > or Pascal) running on computers that do not run with the Oberon OS
 >
 > ? what do you mean by 'Oberon0 compilers' ?

As far as I know, the Obero0 disk is at least partly built up with an
Oberon0 compiler (native to Oberon). If we want to be able to rebuild the
Oberon0 disk, we at least will need an Oberon0 cross compiler for DOS,
Linux and Mac.

 > >  - all files that are now making up the Oberon0.dsk image
 > >  - a general idea why these files are present
 >
 > Well I think, it was an intelligent guess at the most essential files
 > which could fit on 1.4MB.
 >
 > >  - a general idea what new files are required for the current machines
 >
 > What "machines" ? It still remains a x86 only sysytem?

But wouldn't it be nice if it would also run on PPC, Alpha and perhaps an
NS 32032?

 > Are you intending to cater for:
 > - StandAlone,
 > - DOSbased
 > - LNO           ?

Let's start with standalone, but able to be built with DOS, Unix and Mac.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten

Jan Verhoeven
http://fruttenboel.verhoeven272.nl