[Oberon] Bluebottle under VM

Thomas Frey thomas.frey at alumni.ethz.ch
Wed May 10 19:48:21 CEST 2006

Since qemu should really be HW and OS independant, I checked it with
one of the latest bluebottle images. And indeed it fails. The problem
is the new ATA driver.
A workaround with setting the boot option
ATADetect=legacy
helps. But since the qemu BIOS emulation does not waste much time at
startup, it is extremely difficult to activate the just poping up
emulator window and then holding down the SHIFT key to go into the
boot options before the booting already started (i have to try about
ten times to catch it once on my setup).

Maybe there can be a fix for this in the new ATA driver on the release CD ?

Once the system is installed on a virtual harddisk with this
additional setting, the problem is solved. (Activating the DMA with
the new ATA options could speed up the HD transfers)

Btw. I noticed VMWare 5 to be extremely slow, too and hence stick to
version 4 because this works reasonably. I dont know what was changed
from VMWare 4-5.

Another virtualization SW that can run Bluebottle can be found on
parallels.com but there the Acceleration has to be set to lowest
(probably = most compatible).

MS VirtualPC can run Bb only on Macintosh (probably non-intel only ?),
on Intel they got the emulation of the timer chip wrong.

--Thomas