[Oberon] Update: If/why no Centronics print capability ?

shark at gulfnet.sd64.bc.ca shark at gulfnet.sd64.bc.ca
Thu Sep 14 21:20:19 CEST 2006

Chris,

cg> Miscellaneous.PrintFiles LPT1 <FileName> ~
   prints via LPT1.

Yes.  Parallel and serial ports all work
for the HP LaserJet III here.  I use the
parallel connection because it is faster.

cg> Miscellaneous.PrintFiles LPT1 <FileName> ~

I use that only with a dot matrix printer
and set the font on the front panel.

cg> I've understood that such simple printers have a default size/font,
unless special control-chars are sent initially ?

Correct.

cg> In which case ETH-oberon-S3 is sending such control chars ?

As I am aware Miscellaneous.PrintFiles sends
only the plain text to the printer; no control
characters.

cg> PSPrinter = {
 	Resolution = 300  <-- changed from 600 as 'test' no effect

That is for a PostScript printer.  No relevance
to Miscellaneous.PrintFiles.

If your system is configured for a PostScript
printer and you execute Desktops.PrintDoc the
printer driver must compose a PostScript text.
Resolution & etc. are used there.

cg> And how to increase the font size.

A simple driver for dot matrix printers
would be nice.  At least set the type-style
and size.  For example <ESC>"et"<03X> sets
the Courier type-face.  <ESC>"ev"<00X><C8X>
sets 12 point size.  I've written no code.

In case anyone is interested, there is a
programmer's manual for a Fujitsu DL3600
here.  It specifies the Fujitsu original
standard command set, DPL24C PLUS, and the
emulation command sets for IBM Proprinter
XL24, Epson LQ-2500 and Epson LQ-2550.

Regards,      ... Peter E.

Desktops.OpenDoc  http://carnot.pathology.ubc.ca/