[Oberon] Re: Replace with null-string ?! + VNC

peasthope at shaw.ca peasthope at shaw.ca
Sun Dec 14 06:47:52 MET 2008

Chris,

> ... have you run Oberon-VNC together
> with linux-VNC on the same box ?

Never.  I've always had the client & server on
separate machines.

If everything is to be on one PC, isn't there
an Oberon for Linux which would perform better
than "Linux-VNC server-VNC client-Oberon"?

> Apparently I must have 2 different 'users' for
> the client & server ? Whereas I normally just
> run everything as root !

I start the Linux VNC server from the user account.

peter at dalton:~$ tightvncserver -geometry 620x730 -depth 24

Then I start the VNC client in NO.

Desktops.OpenDoc  "192.168.1.7:5901" (VNCViewerDocs.NewDoc) ~

For a system-wide VNC server, I was told to use
XDMCP but haven't tackled it yet.  If you start the
VNC server as a root process and then access it with
Oberon VNC, does the Oberon user have root privilage?
That would be dangerous.  Also a root VNC server
might have problems with prioritization.

Regards,             ... Peter E.

--
http://members.shaw.ca/peasthope/
http://carnot.yi.org/  = http://carnot.pathology.ubc.ca/